The first time I did this meme was in January 2008. It was my honest desire to continue with the tradition each year, but we know that I have not been doing a very good job at keeping up with my blogging. So here we are in 2012, and, I was cleaning out an old tote, and found the notes that I had for last year's version of the post. Far be it from me to let that work go to waste. So, without further delay, the 2010 edition of my annual meme.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Can't remember, and didn't have notes for this one.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For 2010, I have selected the word renew as my "one little word" of the year. I think I will keep it at this level for 2011, not choosing to have additional resolutions or anything like that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
In April, my cousin Marvin welcomed his daughter London Kira-Rane' to the family. And although she hadn't planned on another yet,in June, my good friend Stephanie had a beautiful daughter, Claudia, who was named for her great grandmother.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
So blessed that I didn't lose anyone close to me this year.
5. What countries/states did you visit?
Not surprising, there wasn't any international travel, but I did make it out of the state. A few times, actually. Dana and I went to Williamsburg to participate in a bowling tournament. A bit later in the summer, I joined mom, Sheryl, Stephanie and Barbara for a girls' week in DuBois, PA. Not the most exciting trip, but the area was beautiful.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Still waiting on that vacation with D. Maybe for our fifth anniversary. I think I could also appreciate better health.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 9th. We purchased a second (new to us) car. After sharing one vehicle since before our wedding, I was thrilled to give up the public transportation in favor of having more time. Five hours a day commuting was beginning to get to me.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
From the work-related view, I led my testing team in delivering a major release of our delivery system. On a personal front, I advanced my photography skills a bit - a newborn photo session, a hands-on workshop, photographing models and ending up with work that I can use for portfolio building.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Simply not getting as much de-cluttering accomplished as I'd hoped. Again, not necessarily a failure in my book, but I definitely disappointed myself by not making much progress.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not at all. Thank goodness.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A second vehicle. It's a Ford Edge, gently used (corporate lease). Very comfortable, and so far, it's been very good to me.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Honestly, I can't think of anything to put in this category. End.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Nothing jumping out at me for this either. Thankfully.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Housing and monthly bills aside, food. Eating out, Let's Dish, over shopping at the store. Bowling - league fees and tournaments times two.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
. . .
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Pretty Girl Rock, by Keri Hilson.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Practicing my photography. Reading - after the second car, and a commute that demanded more of my attention, reading fell off. A lot. Travelling, even if it's just day trips with D. Spending time with our friends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watched less television. And falling into the black hole that is the Internet. I don't know where time goes when I start in on these two.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Relaxing with the family. I was able to take some much needed time off. I made cookies to distribute, but somehow it still wasn't "just like old times". Christmas day was spent mostly with my family, dinner and gifts at Bettie's. Sheryl, Stephanie, and her beau Henry all made it down for a few days. Good times. Open house. Game day at Bettie's.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Not at all.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Not much changes with me and television. I still tune in for Top Chef, RHOA and RHONJ, Say Yes to the Dress. Pretty much the top rated reality junk food that comes on cable networks.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Honestly hate isn't on my radar.
24. What was the best book you read?
Not even sure that I was able to get through anything this year.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ledisi's Christmas album. The perfect mix of sultry soul and tradition for me.
26. What did you want and get?
A new car. Have I mentioned that already?
27. What did you want and not get?
A Mac or a Sony A900 camera (or upgrading into a Nikon). And this year we can add an iPad to the mix, although my iPhone is working perfectly well for me. Also, still no children.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
It's quite possible that I didn't see anything that I would call a "favorite". Maybe "For Colored Girls" by Tyler Perry. It's a sad, sad story, but it was done incredibly well and made me understand the play/poem in a way I hadn't before.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nothing really stand out. A bit of shopping.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Wealth is always something that can increase satisfaction. A home that I love (that we both love) and feel comfortable in. A good cruise or all inclusive vacation and more time with friends.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Still keeping under the radar. That would be super comfortable, and not wanting to stand out.
32. What kept you sane?
D. Zoning out every once in a while. Living for vacation.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care. The war. Political accountability and turn around. (Not even sure what I meant by that; serves me right for not posting this sooner.)
35. Who did you miss?
Mom. Bible study with Shawn and Candy. Personal time with God.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't want to limit it to a single person, so I will just say my Panthers' family -- Dave, Craig, Chontey, Tori and Mia Minion. They are the core of a new softball team the D began playing with this summer. They are a group of very cool people and I shared some good times with them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Learning to better balance work and home.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I so cannot think of anything for this right now.